Thursday, January 14, 2016

Fit For Service

Luke 9:61-62


Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-bye to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

This man wanted to put off following Jesus to party one last time; he wasn't ready to forsake everything else for Him. Jesus' answer to him uses the imagery of the farm: if you start to plow, then turn to look back, the furrow will not be straight. You must look at what you're doing to plow a straight furrow. So if I desire to follow the Lord, I must be willing to "turn my back" on any other relationship or endeavor that would interfere. If I'm still trying to divide my time and attention, then I'd be double-minded, and not succeed at either one. If I have affairs to wrap up, I need to take care of that business before I "put my hand to the plow." Then I'll serve single-heartedly.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus!





No comments:

Post a Comment