Monday, April 1, 2019

Dysfunctional, Lost Children

Luke 15: 11-32

The Prodigal Son

And He said, A certain man had two sons:
And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the share of the estate that falls to me to inherit. So he divided his wealth between them. 

So the father gave both his sons now what they would inherit when he died, because the younger son didn't want to wait until his father died. 

And not many days later, the younger son gathered everything together and went on a journey into a distant country, 

This son didn't want to stick around; there must have been an issue in the family that he didn't want to face.

and there he squandered his estate with loose living. 

And he never learned how to handle money. 

Now when he had spent everything, a severe famine occurred in that country, and he began to be impoverished. 
So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 

Okay, he got a job. Looks like not much was available in the job market.

And he would have gladly filled his stomach with the pods that the swine were eating, and no one was giving anything to him. 

There was no welfare state there, people were expected to be responsible for themselves. 

But when he came to his senses, he said, How many of my father's hired men have more than enough bread, but I am dying here with hunger! 

Now he began to think clearly, instead of selfishly and foolishly. 

I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven, and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me as one of your hired men. 

Here's his confession and repentance, he's ready to turn over a new leaf.

So he got up and came to his father. 

And was probably rehearsing his speech on the way. 

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 

Dad was on the watch for him, looking for when he would be returning, not knowing if he would, but eternally hopeful. 

And the son said to him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son. 

This is only the first half of his speech. It looks like Dad cut him off from saying the rest.

But the father said to his slaves, Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him (have to dress up for the party), and put a ring on his hand (The ring was the credit card to put the family seal on the legal documents) and sandals on his feet;
And bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate (Party, party, party!);
For this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found. And they began to celebrate. 

Dad ran to him because he could see his demeanor as he walked, rehearsing his speech of submission, and knew he was ready to receive the family honor.

Now his older son was in the field (Nobody thought to go get him for the occasion?), and when he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing (Uh-oh!).
And he summoned one of the servants and began inquiring what these things could be (What's going on here?)

And he said to him, Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has received him back safe and sound. 

Just the facts.

But he became angry and was not willing to go in; 

This anger is telling, now we can see what has been going on between these two brothers.

and his father came out and began pleading with him. 

Parents always want their children to get along.

But he answered and said to his father, Look! For so many years I have been serving you and I have never neglected a command of yours; 

This son seems to have taken this as a personal insult, a slight from his father in favor of the one who left.

and yet you have never given me a young goat, so that I might celebrate with my friends; 
But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your wealth with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him. 

Now he's competing with his brother for his father's love. 

And he said to him, Son, you have always been with me, and all that is mine is yours. 

He had all the advantages, Dad had given him his share, too, all the rest; the double portion as the elder son. It all belonged to him, and he could have had a party any time he wanted. 

But we had to celebrate and rejoice, for this brother of yours was dead and has begun to live, and was lost and has been found. 

Dad's right. This is a very appropriate occasion to have a party. 

The younger son just didn't want to compete with his brother, so he left. 

But the father still loved them both. Parents do that. 

No matter what kind of personality our kids develop as they grow up, we still accept them and love them and want the best for them. Even when they abandon us. 

We're not told if the older brother ever came in to the party, or if he just sulked until it broke up and everybody went home. We don't know if these two brothers ever reconciled their differences to be able to get along. 

They may have. It's a possibility. This gives me hope for my two daughters: they seem to have lived out this drama in my own family. 

I pray that they will both face the realities of their childhoods together, and each confess their part, and forgive each other, and learn to accept each other in their similarities and in their differences. 

O my Father, I was that prodigal in Your family: I ran away and left, and wandered into dangerous paths. But You never gave up on me; Your eye was continually upon me, to draw me into better paths, all the way back home to You, Father. 

Now You have rescued me, lifting me out of the miry clay I was caught in, and You set my feet upon the Rock of my Salvation (Psalm 40:2). When I was sinking in the quicksand of the World, You pulled me out and set me in a wide space where I cannot fall off. I may stumble, but I will never fall, with Your hand securely holding mine. 

And Father, please draw my children to Yourself. Please show them Your Love for them, in wanting them all to come to repentance so they can be saved from destruction. You are not willing that any should perish, Father; so be the Hound of Heaven to dog them until they return to the Shepherd and Guardian of their souls (II Peter 2:25). 

And help me, Father, to be the parent to them that You are to me: lead me to love them as You love them, and to say Your words, and do Your works, and display Your attitudes of grace and compassion and aceptance. Show me how to do this, Father, instead of pushing them away. 

And every eye will see, every knee will bow, every tongue will confess Your glory and honor and praise and blessing and riches, forever and ever.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus!





No comments:

Post a Comment