Monday, November 25, 2019

Greetings!

Romans 16: 1-16

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea;
that you receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and that you help her in whatever matter she may have need of you; for she herself has also been a helper of many, and myself as well.

Phoebe is on her way there to Rome, or has just arrived with the letter. 

Greet Prisca (Priscilla) and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 
who for my life risked their own necks, to whom not only do I give thanks, but all the churches of the Gentiles; 

Paul met Priscilla and Aquilla in Corinth (Acts 15), after they had to leave Rome, and they traveled with him.

also greet the church that is in their house. 

Wherever Priscilla and Aquilla went, they gathered a church in their house. 

Greet Epaenetus, my beloved, who is the first convert to Christ from Asia. 
Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you. 
Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. 

Andronicus and Junias were Jewish believers, who came to faith in Jesus before Paul had his crisis on the road to Damascus.

Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. 
Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and Stachys my beloved. 
Greet Apelles, the approved in Christ. Greet those who are of the household of Aristobulus.  

Aristobulus may or may not have been a Christian, but some members of his household were.

Greet Herodion, my kinsman. 

Herodion was also a Jewish believer. 

Greet those of the household of Narcissus, who are in the Lord. 
Greet Tryphaena and Tryphosa, workers in the Lord. 
Greet Rufus, a choice man in the Lord, also his mother and mine. 

This shows how close relationships Paul forged with those he preached to, to consider Rufus' mother also a mother to himself. 

Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brethren with them. 
Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister and Olympas, and all the saints who with them. 
Greet one another with a holy kiss. 

It was customary to greet a friend with a kiss on the cheek, or even on both cheeks, aka the way the French do today. 

All the churches of Christ greet you. 

Paul had founded all the Gentile churches in the whole area, so he could speak for all of them in greeting the Roman church. 

Paul loved people. He loved all these people, and knew them by name. How many people do I love enough to remember their names, and their situations?

He loved the Lord Jesus Christ so much that he wanted everybody to know Him too. He knew how much Jesus loved the people, and he couldn't but keep going, spreading the Gospel to all the known World of his time, and where he didn't go, others went from him, even further. 

And after he planted the churches, his concern for them sent him out on a second, and then a third missionary journey. He cared for these he considered his family now. Even when he couldn't travel because he was confined in jail or house arrest, sitting in chains with soldiers beside him, he used the time to write letters to them. He had a constant concern for their welfare. 

And he was also in prayer for them all, each one, praying for them by name; and also for the groups of them, when he could see the enemy encroaching, as we learn in the next few verses, tomorrow. 

O my Father, thank You for giving Paul to all Your churches down through the church age, by his writings in Your Scriptures. Thank You for his heart for those he knew, and he knew everyone! He named by name so many of the believers, different ones in the different letters to different recipients. He always kept in order where each one was and what their situation was. 

Father, if Paul could keep everyone straight, then how much more do You keep track of all Your children, and You always know where I am and what I am doing. Father, help me to always do each day the things You place before me to do, and to recognize when it is not of you but just a distraction. 

I want to serve You, Father, with everything I do, whether I eat or drink, or whatever I do, may I do it all to promote Your Kingdom, to bring all the glory to You. 

And every eye shall see, every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess that Jesus is our Christ, the Lord God Almighty, King of the Universe, to the eternal glory of Almighty God the Father, for ever and ever. Amen. 

Even so, come swiftly, Lord Jesus!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment